Thursday, September 01, 2005

I don’t have for to eat
My French is a big train wreck inside my head. I’ve worked and worked to get to a point where I can say in French “I’d like two of those, please.” For all that work, I receive no more results than if I had pointed, raised two fingers and said “Ug, ug, ug”. I now know enough to know how stupid I sound when I say, in my very best French, “I am going to go yesterday from the work, please”. The chef de la poubelle arrived this morning and said “blah blah blah vandredi” while making the international sign for “take a picture”. Ah, I thought, he must want to see the picture I took of them, and he’s asking for it on Friday. “Ah, oui, vandredi” I replied, making the international sign for “next time”. “Blah blah blah, he replied sternly. “Je ne comprend pas,” I winced. Did they want their own copies of the photo? Another crew member added pointedly, “blah blah blah pour manger” with the international sign for “eating” as they mounted the truck. I managed to fumble out “je n’ai pas pour manger”. Ahhhh, Je comprend. Il n’a pas veut le photo. Il a veut la …monnaie… pour le photo.

1 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

hey, just read about your frustrations with french.

i love french! it's a beautiful language, and i am "legally" bilingual.

keep up the hard work, it'll pay off. i suppose you don't have much a choice being submersed in culture like that.

2 Mes frères, regardez comme un sujet de joie complète les diverses épreuves auxquelles vous pouvez être exposés,
3 sachant que l'épreuve de votre foi produit la patience.
4 Mais il faut que la patience accomplisse parfaitement son oeuvre, afin que vous soyez parfaits et accomplis, sans faillir en rien.
--James 1:2-4

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home