Thursday, September 15, 2005

Ca c’est pour tu, est ca c’est pour les cousins
For my French lesson, I read a story about a Senagalais man whose cousin comes over uninvited, to eat the man’s duck soup dinner. After a knock at the door, another cousin of the cousin comes for dinner, then another knock and another cousin of the cousin of the cousin. Finally, le cousin de la cousin de la cousin de la cousin dit “Why are you giving me only water for dinner?”. The man dit “c’est le soup de la soup de la soup de la canard”. Abdoullai, Bronwyn’s work mate, is originally from Dakar. He left for France, then for the US. Against his wishes, he is now employed here in Dakar, and is prey to his family’s pleas for assistance. It is usual here for the family to be coming over like that. Before entering our taxi today, the driver and I haggled. I wished to only pay 2000cfa, but conceded to 2500. On the drive our taximan got a phone call and, excusing himself, pulled over. It was a lively discussion with a family member. “ No, not today, either,” he complained in French/Wolof, “Hey listen, I’m trying to get some work done here”. We had a good laugh about all of his cousins calling for money. ‘C’est dommage,” I sympathized. At our destination, I chuckled “Ca c’est pour tu,” as I produced the 2000cfa note…and “ca c’est pour les cousins,” offering the 500cfa coin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home